A Windows 10 repair installation is a troubleshooting method that will overlay your existing installation with fresh copies of settings and core files. It is usually a process of last resort and is only really used once other troubleshooting steps have failed. So today’s computer repair post from Dave’s Computers is all about recovering Windows 10.
A Windows 10 repair installation is better than a full reinstall as it retains your files and data. For it to work, you will need a Windows 10 ISO installed onto a USB drive. The latest version of Windows 10 has expanded beyond that a normal DVD can store so you will need to use either a USB drive or a dual-layer DVD.
Windows 10 repair installation
The Windows 10 repair installation process takes a while but should hopefully fix whatever is wrong with your computer.
- Log into Windows 10 on your computer.
- Uninstall any antivirus or malware scanners you may have installed. If you have any other security software, uninstall that too.
- Insert the USB drive or DVD media with the Windows 10 ISO.
- Open the media and select Setup.exe. This will begin the Windows installation.
- Select the option to download and install updates as this will save a lot of time.
- Agree the license terms, select Next and select Change what to keep.
- Select Keep personal files and apps the select Next.
- Allow the installation wizard to complete. This could take around 15 minutes or longer depending on your computer.
- Select Custom settings when prompted and opt out of all Windows monitoring and feedback options.
- Allow setup to complete and let the desktop load.
As mentioned, the Windows 10 repair installation can take as little as 15 minutes or up to an hour depending on how new or how fast your computer is. Windows 10 does a much better job of telling you what’s going on so you should never be in doubt that it is working.
Once setup completes, your computer may reboot and load directly into the desktop. Your original files and settings should all be present and correct and you should see the same desktop wallpaper, icon settings and theme you had before.
A Windows 10 repair installation is almost the process of last resort. Once higher level troubleshooting has been completed and whatever issue remains, it can fix your computer and have it running properly again. If your issue still isn’t fixed, the computer repair guys at Dave’s Computers in New Jersey can help. Bring your computer to our store and we will see what we can do!