There are so many choices when it comes to choosing antivirus protection for your computer, it can be confusing at best. But there is a lot at stake like your digital identity, financial information, and all your personal data. Choosing antivirus software is important for ensuring your online activities are safe from hacks and viruses. How do you know you are getting the best one? Here are five tips for choosing antivirus protection for your laptops and computers.
What to Look for to get the Best Virus Protection
Some of the most popular antivirus programs are compared each year by PC Magazine. Their chart provides a brief rundown of the latest protective programs available and the key benefits of each one. But how do you know you are getting the best one for you? Here are five criteria to consider.
- Comprehensive Protection. A trustworthy antivirus solution will offer constant protection across all computer domains including everything that could be subjected to an attack by malware or a computer virus. It should cover all the possible entry points to your computer including online surfing, FTP, email and more.
- Quality of Protection. Whether you use Apple or Windows, the online environment is constantly changing. There are new Trojan viruses, worms, and other computer viruses and malware that are becoming more complex. The latest forms of malware include new ways of avoiding antivirus/antimalware detecting programs. Whether you choose to go with a free antivirus program or pay for managed IT support, you’ll need to look for these qualities:
- Effective malware detection process
- Regular and frequent updates
- The ability to remove malware from your computer
- Efficiently delivers protection without a significant impact on computer performance.
- User Friendly. If an antivirus program requires special skill sets for day-to-day operations, it is likely an impractical choice. It should not be difficult or awkward to use. The user shouldn’t have to answer complex questions or make hard decisions. These types of programs can lead to increased “operator errors.” Many users will simply disable a program that becomes to complicated to run. Make sure the program is easy to use.
- Price vs Need. If you go with a free antivirus or antimalware program you can compare what they offer with what you need. When paying for a subscription, you still should know what your needs are before comparing prices. Of course, you’ll want to get the most you can for the price you’re willing to pay. Make sure to thoroughly examine all their features including things like support once you make the purchase. Consumer Reports can be useful as it provides a breakdown of many software programs.
- Scanning Capabilities. Another important feature the program you select should include is flexible scanning. It’s important to be able to scan in real time. Often, your computer will give you signs it’s been compromised. Not only should the program automatically scan when the system boots up, you will also want to be able to scan the system at any time for the best protection.
Making the Final Choice for Antiviral and Antimalware Software
Each computer user has their own unique set of needs, and security products have their pros and cons. As your computer use changes, so will your need for protection against viruses and other types of malware that attack your computer. Using the criteria listed here can help you find the best antiviral and antimalware programs to keep you safe online.
Yoast Title: Choosing Antiviral Protection for Computers – Dave’s Computers
Yoast Meta Description: Choosing antimalware antivirus protection for your computer can be confusing. Let us help you. Check out these five steps to simplify the process.