Dave’s Computer Repair Blog – How to troubleshoot Windows 10 Anniversary Update activation issues
Upgrading to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is now the only way to continue to receive security patches, fixes and improvements to Windows. The update changed some fundamental aspects of the operating system and this is now the minimum requirement for future support. If you have updated and are having trouble activating the new version, I can help.
I have seen quite a few customers come into our store asking me to troubleshoot Windows 10 Anniversary Update activation issues. I have so far managed to fix all of them. If you’re having similar issues, here is how to fix it.
Fix Windows 10 Anniversary Update activation issues
The way to overcome Windows 10 Anniversary Update activation issues is by forcing the standard activation process. First we can get Windows to activate itself. If that doesn’t work, we can call the automated hotline and get a Confirmation ID to do it manually.
- Navigate to Settings and Update & security.
- Select Activation.
- Add your Microsoft account details and sign in.
- The activation process should complete within a few minutes, or hours.
Sometimes, depending on how busy the Microsoft activation servers are, this process can take a few hours or a couple of days. If you don’t want to activate manually, just be patient. You have 28 days before you need to do anything.
Otherwise, let’s manually activate Windows 10.
- Type ‘slui 4’ into the Search Windows (Cortana) box and select it from the list.
- Select United States and click Next.
- Call the toll free number while remaining in front of your computer.
- Enter the digits from the window with your telephone keypad when instructed to do so.
- Add the Confirmation ID the system provides into the box.
- Let Windows 10 activate.
In the majority of cases, giving the system time to activate itself is enough to get you up and running. Otherwise, spending 20 minutes on the phone to an IVR system will certainly do it.
Thank you for reading Dave’s Computer Repair Blog, if you ever need computer repair or data recovery assistance give us a call or fill out the contact form on the bottom right of the website.