If you do very much with your computer, then there are different kinds of software you may wish to download. However, with so many viruses and malware floating around, you may be afraid to do so. The good news is that you don’t need computer help to download software safely. You just need to know the correct steps to follow in order to protect your machine while getting access to the software you need.
To begin with, understand that the software itself isn’t usually the culprit that could be causing your computer problems. In fact, the software could be fantastic, but the site that hosts it could be filling the download with malware, and that’s the problem that will often require a computer repair service.
With that in mind, let’s talk about some steps you can take to safely download software without worrying about problems and without the need for computer help.
- Make sure you use common sense. Only download if you feel the software is coming from a trusted source. If it comes from an email link and you don’t know where the email itself came from, it’s time to be wary. Trust your gut and you can avoid many problems.
- Look for trusted software referral websites. Instead of seeking out the software on your own, you can look for services and websites that list good options. That way, they will have already done all of the hard work and weeded out the problems. Then, you can just pick the option you want without feeling like you need to call computer support.
- Know what you are downloading. There are different terms that can be confusing and may lead you down the wrong path:
- Freeware would be software that is completely free to use. Plenty of them are upstanding, but often, the freeware will have the most problems with malware.
- Trialware would be software that only gives you a free trial for a certain period of time. After that, you will need to pay.
- Commercial Ware – This would be software that costs money to even download. Most people would prefer to buy this kind of software simply because they feel it can be more trustworthy.
Don’t immediately write off free software because there are plenty of good options. Just be more careful before downloading it.
- Don’t fall for advertisements. How often do you see a pop-up or an ad saying that you can download software to make your machine run quicker or to clean it of viruses? The problem is, these ads belong to malware the vast majority of the time. Use your research skills to find software and don’t just blindly follow an ad.
If you follow these tips, then you will be able to download software safely. And, of course, if you do have any problems and you need computer help, then we will be readily available at Dave’s Computers. We can offer remote support services if you accidentally do download malware onto your computer and if you are facing many other computer issues.