Device manager is designed to give you access to different pieces of hardware and ports on your machine. There are times when you may need to disable a device whether it is causing a problem or you suspect it may be. In either case, you don’t have to call in a computer repair service to perform this diagnostic. Instead, you just need to know how to get to device manager and then what to do once you are there. In this tutorial, we will be discussing disabling devices if you have Windows 7. If you have a different version of the operating system and you cannot find the device manager, then you may need the assistance of a computer support professional.
The first thing you need to do is access the control panel, which means clicking on the start menu in the bottom left corner of your computer screen. Then, you can choose control panel from the start menu that will appear. Then, to disable a device through device manager, follow these steps:
- When you are in the control panel, you will need to locate device manager. Look for the icon or listing and then click on it.
- When the device manager is open, you will be able to sort through lists of all your devices. You will see a variety of major categories, and there will be an icon that looks like this: >. Click on it so that you can locate specific types of hardware within the category.
- When you find the device you want to disable, double check to ensure you have chosen the right thing. Then, right click on it and choose properties.
- You will see a new window for properties. Within this window, click a tab that says driver.
- Then, you can choose disable from this window. You will receive a message asking if you are sure you would like to disable the device. Click yes.
- Then, click ok. This will disable the device and then return you to the device manager.
In the device manager, you can ensure the device you were trying to disable has been done so by looking it up again and checking the status. Of course, if you determine you have made a mistake, you can re-enable the device without a computer repair service whenever needed. Just go back to device manager and go through the steps above until you get to the spot where you clicked disable. This time, you will need to click enable and now your device will be fully operational again without you needing to call for computer help.
If you are having trouble with your computer, and you believe it is hardware related, then disabling the device in question can be a good start. Then, you may wish to contact a computer repair service to fully rectify the problem. When you require this service, contact davescomputers.com. We will be glad to assist you with your computer support needs. Give us a call today and we will get started on your problem as soon as possible.