If you use Netflix to stream television and movies to your computer, then if you run into problems, this can be a big headache. After all, you could be missing the next episode of “Orange in the New Black” just because your computer decided to not cooperate. One common problem that has people seeking computer support comes from Microsoft Silverlight.
Silverlight is actually a framework that is used for running Internet applications. It can be run as an application in most web browsers and is even available on Mac OS X computers even though it is a Microsoft product. It is the framework that supports Netflix running on your computer, so if the two things clash, you may need computer help.
There are a few things you can do in order to troubleshoot the issue, and if none of them work, then the best thing to do is contact computer support services.
Start with Your Browser
Sometimes, the cookie for the Netflix website can get corrupted. If this happens, then this could cause the whole program to not work. You will need to clear the cookies:
- In Google Chrome, go to the menu that looks like the three little lines in the top right corner. Choose tools and then clear browsing data. Make sure cookies is checked.
- In Internet Explorer, click in the icon at the top right that looks like a gear. Choose safety, and then clear browsing history. Make sure cookies is checked.
- In Safari, click on Safari menu option at the top of the screen. Choose preferences and then privacy. Then click remove all website data.
Once you have cleared the cookies, try to launch Netflix again. If this isn’t working, then you can move on to the next step or you could contact computer support.
For Silverlight and Netflix to work properly together, Silverlight itself has to be enabled. This will ensure the app launches when you try to play something on the Netflix website. Here’s how to enable it:
- In Internet Explorer, click on the gear icon at the top right of the screen. Choose tools and then manage add-ons. Choose toolbars and extensions in the left pane and then choose all add-ons in the dropdown menu. Finally, click on Silverlight. Make sure it says it is enabled.
- In Google Chrome, type in this web address: chrome://plugins. Click on Silverlight and ensure it says it is enabled.
- In Safari, go to the menu choice labeled Safari and choose preferences. Then, click on security and pick manage website settings. Click on the Silverlight plugin and ensure allow is selected.
If you go through these steps, Silverlight should work properly and allow Netflix to run. If it still doesn’t work, then you may need to uninstall the Silverlight plugin and reinstall it. That may be more difficult and it may require computer help.
If you are having problems that require professional computer support, then don’t hesitate to contact computer-help.com. We will be glad to work with you to get your computer running smoothly once again.