The Windows 10 Anniversary Update arrived a few weeks ago. It’s a large download that takes quite a while to install. So far, it seems not everyone has had the seamless upgrade experience we would have hoped. Here at Dave’s Computers, we have seen a few users experience ‘Failure To Complete The Anniversary Update Installation’ errors.
It is a frustrating error as you have waited ages for the download to finish and then waited more while the update installed only to have it fail. The full error syntax is ‘Error: We couldn’t complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don’t turn off your computer’. While it tells you exactly what’s happening, it doesn’t tell you why. Fortunately, there’s a simple fix.
Troubleshoot ‘Failure To Complete The Anniversary Update Installation’ errors in Windows 10
Before making any big changes to your computer, it’s always a good idea to make a backup of your data and to create a system restore point. While Windows usually creates one automatically, that is never guaranteed.
- Turn off your computer and switch it off at the mains.
- Leave it for a couple minutes for all the power to dissipate.
- Turn your computer on once more and allow it to boot.
- Navigate to Settings, Update & security and click Check for updates.
Windows should now download and/or install the Windows 10 Anniversary Update as normal. I’m not entirely sure why this works, but we have used this trick successfully on desktops and laptops in the store.
If that doesn’t work, try this:
- Navigate to ‘C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download’.
- Delete everything in the Download folder.
- Reboot your computer.
- Navigate to Settings, Update & security.
- Select ‘Check for updates’ and run the process again.
This final method will mean downloading the entire Anniversary Update again but it should also mean that the upgrade works this time.
If you can’t get it working or need help with any aspect of computer maintenance or troubleshooting, Dave’s Computers can help. Visit our store or call us today for expert assistance with every aspect of computing.