Hardware on your computer uses drivers to work properly. These drivers are updated for a number of different reasons, such as malfunctions, new operating systems, new features, and security issues. If you have an old driver, then you may find that components of your computer will not work properly. Additionally, sometimes, drivers become corrupted, which can result in issues as well. Before you contact a computer support service, consider ensuring the problem doesn’t have to do with an out of date or bad driver. Updating this is quick and simple, and all you will need to do is follow a few steps that start with determining what driver you have in the first place.
If you have Windows 7, then this tutorial can help you. If you have a different version of the operating system, then keep in mind that you will need to locate the device manager on your computer. If you are unsure of how to do this, then contact a computer support service.
If you have Windows 7, though, then follow these steps to get the information you need.
- Click on the start button at the bottom left of the screen.
- In the start menu, choose control panel.
- In control panel, choose device manager.
- In the device manager, you will see main categories for the different types of devices you may have on your computer. You will need to look for the specific devices by clicking on the > symbol that appears beside each main category.
- When you locate the device you need to find out the driver number for, right click on it. You will see a small menu come up, and choose properties from this menu.
- When you open the properties window, there are a few tabs you could choose from. Click on the tab labeled driver.
Once you open the driver tab, you will see different bits of information about the device drivers, and then the actual driver version information as well. There are two things you should note: the driver version number as well as the driver provider. Of course, you will need to know the provider so that you can go to the right company in order to download the proper drivers. You may also want to make note of the driver date. That way, when you look into a newer version of the driver, you can make sure it actually is newer. You definitely don’t want to install an older version. If you accidentally do download an older driver and you are unsure of what to do, then a computer repair service will be able to help you with the problem.
There are a few reasons why you may need the driver version number, so if you have trouble with this process, and you need computer help, then don’t hesitate to contact at the bottom of the website. We can help you locate the driver version and even update the drivers as needed. We also offer a variety of different remote computer support options.